Sunday, January 19, 2014

So who cares if it's Tuesday and I'm pouring $4 merlot into a coffee mug. Maybe I had a long day;

okay, I know it's not Tuesday.. but that's not the point. 


Life is hard sometimes. We're faced with decisions, big and small, every day. Sometimes you have to make decisions like if you should really order that $12 pizza because you have your rent due tomorrow and you have ramen in the kitchen, or if that $50 pair of shoes is really worth it. Or, you know, like if you should suck it up and throw out another $15,000 that you're going to have to pay back in student loans on another semester studying a major you think you want to spend the rest of your life doing. 

I mentioned in my last post that there's this pressure for everyone out of high school to go to college for four, five, or even eight years, to get a degree in something that's going to make you a lot of money. Well, after graduation I applied to two schools and was denied one because of an ACT math score (SO rude, right?!) and I had originally wanted to study wildlife sciences because I love animals. They're so cool! I had fun taking a class on them in high school and it was really interesting, but who am I kidding. I'm terrible at really hard biology, chemistry in general, and math - don't get me started on being bad at math. Well, after being accepted to RU I decided to switch to elementary education. I was in that major for maybe a few weeks before I considered special education, then I thought about secondary education with a focus in history, and then I just looked at a major in history... and THEN I finally switched to theatre after a big change in my life (I'm sure that story will come in another post in the future.) 

Well, it was over Thanksgiving break during my Sophomore year at Radford that I started to second guess if I really wanted to be at Radford. Things were going okay that semester, but that was it, just okay. I wasn't sure that I was as happy as I could have been. So, while I was at home with my family, I decided to take a risk and be super honest with them. I told them how I felt about being unsure about being where I was, and that one of my options was to leave for a semester. At first I could't imagine telling my mom that. I was almost positive that they would have something against it. But much to my surprise, everyone in my family was super supportive of my decision to move back home and find a full time job (I'm a lucky girl, blessed with wonderful family, I know!) 

So that's what I did. I left Radford and moved home to Damascus and got a job working at the Cafe at The Barter Theatre. I had so much fun working there and living home. I got to see shows for free, spend time with and meet some absolutely wonderful people, and go to some cool places. It was a really nice break. And on that break, I mustered up the courage to re-apply to Virginia Tech, and well what do ya know, I ended up getting accepted this time around. I was the happiest girl in the world, because VT always has, and always will, hold a special place in my heart (I wear my mom's VT class ring every day now, for goodness sake!) So in the fall of 2012 I started back at VT as a theatre major, and I really enjoyed myself. And then in January I was like "I think I want to be a Hospitality and Tourism Management major!" I really think I just pulled an Elle Woods and woke up one morning and thought that. Because while I loved the intro to HTM class and liked the idea of doing that, I really didn't like the classes it took to get the major (Business classes.... baaad news for me. Econ = a definite fail. Why? because math.) 

So, over this past summer, of 2013, something happened and I was forced with a decision: do I frantically find a way to make it possible for me to continue taking classes at VT, or do I just not worry about it and take yet another amount of time off to figure things out. So my decision was to take time off, again. (Yes, you read that right. All of you people who've asked me how my semester went - I haven't been in school since May. awkward!) And yet again, my family was super supportive of my difficult decision. It was really hard, because after finally being accepted to my dream school, I was put in a situation that was forcing me to decide - and fast.

In the end, I think the decision was 100% in my best interest. I'm not saying that leaving VT, specifically, was best for me. But taking the time to figure out what I really like was. I landed a job at a daycare and now I know that I want to pursue a lifetime investment in taking care/teaching other people's children (and my own someday.) It's really nice.

So.. allllll this being said, if your decision is something along the lines of buying the $10 bottle of wine vs the $4 bottle, or going to Kabuki rather than Applebee's, or whether you should stress and possibly ruin your semester or just leave, just do what you think will be best for you. The people who really support you will be there for you.. and the rest.... well, they'll probably be annoyed but who cares? It's all about you..... or... me in my case. 

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. "LOVE! I'm doing this for love, and love will see me through. Yes! With love on my side I can't lose!!!"

    ReplyDelete