Wednesday, February 24, 2016

because this is too long for a facebook status

It's so interesting, going back and reading through the five posts I made in January/February 2014. Some of my feelings are exactly the same, and some have taken a turn in the opposite direction:
  • I'm not pursuing a degree in early childhood education; I'm finishing my undergraduate degree in theatre and planning on getting my MAT in Theatre Education k-12 beginning May 2017.
  • I'm not working with small children anymore; I'm a shop assistant in a costume shop, mostly building costumes for the musical, and a painter in the scene shop for the musical. 
  • I'm also no longer single, and am oh so very happy in a relationship.
I'm the happiest I've ever been. Knowing exactly what I want to do and where I want to go is a great feeling, and I don't even want to go far away. If I'm being honest, I want to stay right here. Someone would probably tell me that I could make a difference anywhere, so why not make a difference right here? The idea of getting out of this place - the New River Valley to be exact, is awesome for some people, but not for me. I'd love to vacation out of the area, but I truly believe that I'm meant to do something here. I've tried to leave and something has always brought me back. 

The best part about that is my decision to stay here has every bit to do with me. Plenty of people and things have influenced the decision but no one else has made that decision for me. I've found a passion for theatre education and keeping the arts alive and I want to pursue that passion right here in SWVA. If all I do is influence one kid over the course of my entire life, I will feel like I've succeeded. I don't need an award or recognition from my superiors for my work and sometimes I feel sorry for people who live that way. 

It's also great because my relationship didn't make this decision for me. I have to say that I have the most wonderful and loving and supportive boyfriend in the world. Our relationship isn't perfect, but it's exactly what I need and it's a plus that he meshes so well with my friends. He's the one I want to talk to at the end of the day, but our relationship doesn't define who I am as a person, or my success - which brings me to another point...

I'm so confused why people let their marital status define who they are or let a relationship or lack of mean they're successful or not. People say society pressures women into relationships but I actually feel the exact opposite because you always hear about how boring "settling" is. Being single doesn't make you more successful. Being married doesn't make you happier. And if other people thinking either of those things about you are that big of a deal then I'm sorry that you feel that way. I'm in a happy, stable relationship and I would consider myself to be fairly successful. 

I could go on about defining success and what I've accomplished so far this year, or I could stop typing and save that for another day because this is a lot to read and I don't want to bore you with some post from a 24 year old almost college graduate who wants to spend her life in a high school.

until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment